We have talked about Why search engine is great for marketing (SEO & SEM). Now let’s talk about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) and see how we can simply start planning SEO.
💡 SEM Auction
Search engines limit the number of slots adverts can appear in on an individual page. Advertisers then compete in an auction for those slots.
👉 What increases Quality Score of SEM Auction?
- A competitive bid.
- Strong relevance.
👉 3 factors to consider before bidding on keywords
- Traffic Potential.
🚩 TIPS: How to make ads stand out
- Write headlines that make a connection. Relevance is the name of the game in search engine marketing.
- Write a clear, compelling call to action. Tell visitors what you want them to do when they get to your site.
🤓 Keep in mind
- Businesses can change their Max CPCs at any time, so you’ll need to keep an eye on your bids regularly to ensure you’re getting the performance you want.
- One of the best ways you can improve your performance in SEM is to consistently review your campaigns to find ways to become more relevant.
- To improve your performance, stay focused on improving the relevance of all your adverts. Make sure that your adverts always closely match the terms that people have just searched for.
💡 Structure of SEM Campaign
👉 Think of your SEM plan as a tree and its branches
At the main body trunk is your Account, which you create with a search engine.
Trunks grow the branches of Campaigns. Each campaign controls important decisions, like the daily budget, the areas or countries where ads can appear, and the advertising networks you want to use.
On top of Campaigns, you can create multiple Ad Groups for each type of product.
After Ad Groups, you add Keywords that someone would search for the ads that go with them.
By organising these terms into ad groups, you can write relevant ads for each group of keywords.
🤓 Keep in mind
Always remember to keep the Relevance between Ad Campaign and Landing Page.
💡 Fine-Tune SEM Keywords
🤔 CONCERN: Broad matching
Keywords are broad match by default. Any of these searches could potentially trigger your ad, but the searchers are not likely customers. One way to prevent ads from appearing on these searches is to choose more specific keywords.
😃 SOLUTION: Keyword Match Types
Add match type to further refine the results.
- Phrase match: Adverts can’t be displayed unless the search includes the entire phrase.
- Exact match: Keywords are distinguished by enclosing the word or phrase in square brackets.
- Negative keywords: Use (- ) to block your ads any time a search contains one or all of them.
Conversions are the key actions you want website visitors to take. Action example: Successful transactions, Email Signup, Contact form submissions, downloads.
🤔 CONCERN: Know what works and what isn’t
How can we measure the value you’re getting from your campaigns?
😃 SOLUTION: Track Conversion
You can use tools provided by search engines. You could hire web specialists to install the conversion tracking code on the action confirmation page. That’s the page customers see after they complete an action. It can track customer activity from clicking the ad to completing an action you want them to take.
🚩 TIPS: Use Google’s Keyword Planner
A keyword research tool that can help you find keywords that attract customers. They also help you discover keywords to avoid.
Google digital garage